Driving In Europe After Brexit – Are You Prepared?

The Brexit changes are about to begin. One of the first things UK motorists may want to know about are new requirements when driving in EU countries. This guide will help you get ready.

The changes will affect many aspects of driving in Europe, including your driving license, your car insurance, driving permits, and many other things you may not have thought about. Brexit changes could begin as soon as 29th March 2019.

International Driving Permits

The Department of Transportation has warned UK motorists that if no deal is reached before March 29th, 2019, you will need to acquire an International Driving Permit (IDP) before driving outside the UK.

The IDP is basically a translated version of your current license designed to allow EU countries to check your license and verify you are authorised to drive in their country. The cost is low at just £5.50. You can apply at your local Post Office, which may be wise to do prior to March 29th. 2019.

NOTE: The IDP does not replace your current license. It is an extension to your license. Your license and IDP must be presented together. You will need an HGV licence to drive Large Good Vehicles (The LGV Training Company).

International Driving Permit – Do You Really Need One?

The UK currently has two different IDP cards you can purchase. The first is based on the 1949 Geneva Convention rules on Road Traffic. The second form of IDP is based on the 1968 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic. So which one do you need?

After Brexit – The 1949 IDP will only be usable in Cyprus, Malta, Ireland, and Spain. The 1968 IPD is for use in any other EU country. The Department of Transportation reports you will need to choose which version of IDP you need based on the countries you will be driving in. You could have your car turned around and denied entrance to a country if you do not have the proper IDP. If you plan to travel to both areas, you may need to have both IDP versions.

Green Card – International Insurance

Before driving abroad post-Brexit, you should contact your insurance company and request a green card. The green card should be free but will be required in many EU countries.

The green card is an international insurance card proving you are properly insured for driving in foreign countries. Your insurance company will advise you if there are changes required for your policy.

Road traffic accidents

As we already indicated, it will be essential to visit with your insurance company before leaving the country post-Brexit. You need to verify your current policy will cover accidents involving another European motorist and their claim against you. Without this verification, you may be faced with dealing with the foreign insurance company on your own, instead of your insurance provider doing the work.

Vehicle Registration Documents

At this time, it appears there will be no changes in carrying your vehicle registration documents is there is no Brexit deal.

You should always carry your V5C vehicle log book when driving abroad, plus if you take a UK based hire car to an EU country, make sure you have a VE103 as proof you are approved to drive the car in a foreign country.

Number Plates and GB Stickers

Do you currently have a Euro-Plate with the EU Flag and GB symbol? If you do, it may not be valid for international travel if there is no Brexit deal. You should plan on getting a GB sticker for the back of your car which is accepted in all EU and EEA countries

Trailer Registration

Businesses may face a few new challenges, too. UK drivers pulling a commercial trailer may be required to register any trailers weighing more than 750 kg. Non-commercial trailers weighing over 3500 kg will need to be registered before being pulled into EU and EEA countries, also.

Non-commercial trailers under 750 kg do not require registration, but you can register it voluntarily if you wish.

Now you know how to prepare for driving abroad if a Brexit deal is not reached by the March 29th deadline.